Sunday, February 12, 2023

Plans and Reservations

Today is one of my favorite dates on the winter portion of the calendar…and the Super Bowl has very little to do with it.   Truth be told, I am a NY Giants fan who spends roughly forty-nine minutes annually watching NFL football.  While I am sure Margaret and I will watch at least some of the game, it is far from the most important part of my day. 

No, Super Bowl Sunday is traditionally the day on which registration for the Spring Lake Five Mile Run occurs.   In all likelihood by the time you read this (and you three people know who you are) I will have already signed up - since registration begins at 5 am.   I have taken part in the SL5 (“Summer at the Shore Starts Here”) every year it has been held since 2010.  I look forward to it as part of my Memorial Day Weekend.  Last year however my performance was embarrassingly bad.   I intend to make amends this year.  

New this year is that today is also the day registration begins for the Belmar Five Mile Run, an event in which I have been an annual participant every year it has been her since 2010.   COVID has affected the Belmar Five Mile Run.   It used to be held in mid-July.  It is a mid-July race no longer.  Coming back from its COVID cancellation it was moved to Labor Day Weekend.  I suppose its tagline could be “Summer at the Shore Ends Here” though I shall not hold my breath waiting for that to appear on a t-shirt.  

Today I shall register for both events in one fell swoop. Apropos of nothing, is there any other kind of swoop, and if there is, what is it called?  

That is a thought for another day I reckon.   Enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday, however, whenever, and with whomever you spend it.  

-AK

No comments:

Post a Comment