Monday, April 3, 2023

Seventy and Counting

 


On the last night on which I saw Mom, which was roughly two months before her death, we sat on the couch in her living room in Jupiter, Florida and watched the second National Semi-Final of the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four.   North Carolina defeated Oregon in what was a really fun game.  The game ended late (the 2017 Final Four was in Phoenix, Arizona) and we each struggled to stay awake.  We made it to game's end at which time I kissed her good night, knowing I had an early flight home on Sunday morning.  

Mom was a sports fan.  We spent too many hours for me to accurately calculate watching sports together on tv.  During my high school years, when the only network on which to watch the NCAA Tournament was CBS, we used to sit up together late in our living room in Neshanic Station, New Jersey watching whatever late game from the West Region was being played on that Thursday or Friday night.  

Forty-plus years later, I smile still at that memory.  Tonight, the NCAA Men's Basketball season shall end in the National Championship Game in Houston, Texas.  Full disclosure demands my acknowledgement that I do not know the name of a single player in this year's Final Four.  Nonetheless, I shall put the game on - for at least a little while - just to see it...

...and I shall save a spot on the couch.  

-AK 

No comments:

Post a Comment