Saturday, November 19, 2022

The Nessman Cometh

Today is Turkey Run Day in ‘Squan.  One of life’s delicious ironies is that in the days of yore when I was a far better and faster runner than I now am, this race was known as the Turkey Trot.  Now as I am more of a trotter than I am a runner, it has a new sobriquet.  




The forecast today calls for conditions that can fairly be called “brisk”.  The conditions will likely have a negligible impact on the hundreds of us running or the hundreds lining the streets of Manasquan cheering us on and plying us with adult beverages.  Little known fact:  Beer is not available to World Cup fans in Qatar but is available on the Turkey Run race course.  ‘Merica for the win! 




Once upon a time my goal used to be to finish this five-mile jaunt in forty minutes or less.  Now?   I have a more realistic goal, which is to avoid doing my impression of a sack of wet cement.  If I make it back to Leggetts without anyone mistaking me for a rain-soaked bag of Sakrete, I will put today in the “Win” column.  

Regardless of finishing time and irrespective of the conditions, today shall be a terrific day.  It is a great event for a great cause.  It is also an excuse to get together with old friends, including several who the Missus and I have not seen for some time.  A hell of a nice way to spend a mid-November Saturday at the Shore.   




However, wherever, and with whomever you spend it, enjoy your day.  Remember, be careful out there.


-AK



No comments:

Post a Comment