Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Foundational Strength

 


Mom had more integrity than any person I have ever known or, candidly, any person I shall ever know.  It is no surprise.  She remains the bravest person I have ever known.  As Mark Twain correctly noted, it is courage that is integrity's foundation. 

Sixty-seven months ago today was a Saturday.  I awakened at the Shore and went for a run north on the boards, having hopped up onto the Belmar boardwalk at our beach, which was the 17th Avenue Beach.  The sky was extraordinary. 


17th Avenue Beach - Belmar, N.J. 
June 3, 2017


I ran north, towards and then past the Belmar Fishing Club, and then towards and past the Shark River Inlet before heading over the Inlet into, first, Avon-by-the-Sea, and thereafter Bradley Beach.  The morning sky's resplendence kept me company as I ran.  



Belmar Fishing Club - Belmar, N.J.
June 3, 2017



Shark River Inlet - Belmar, N.J.
June 3, 2017


Little did I know, of course, this beautiful morning would herald the arrival of the final day of Mom's life.  As we rapidly approach the sixth anniversary of that day, I smile at the memory of all of those I was fortunate to spend with her, including Christmases from this century and the last, and the wedding days of both of my kids, including her walk down the aisle with Joe in the pre-ceremony rehearsal at Suzanne and Ryan's wedding in September, 2013.  



Mom and Yours truly - Princeton, N.J.
Christmas 1998



Mom and Joe - Suzanne and Ryan's Wedding Day
September 2013


Foundational strength.  Mom had it.  She instilled it in each of her six children.  The greatest tribute any of us can pay to her is to continue to demonstrate it.  Today.  Tomorrow.  Every day.  


-AK 










No comments:

Post a Comment