Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Fifty Seven One Sixty Three

Forty-two years ago today, at the age of fifty-seven years and one hundred sixty-three days William P. Kenny, Sr. died.  He was my father.  At the time of his death, I was fourteen.  I am now fifty-six.   I have now reached the point of my existence where I have lived three times as long without my father as I lived with him.  


Song for Orphans
-Bruce Springsteen


For those keeping score at home - and I assure you I am - July 16, 2024 is circled on my calendar.  It shall mark the one hundred and sixty-fourth day of my fifty-seventh year.  I intend to get there.  I owe my father at least that much.  

-AK  


3 comments:

  1. I still think the best and purest thing he ever did was let his heart give out. He knew he could not change; Mom despised him. The father I miss is more of a dream of what one might be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two remarkable sentiments, Adam; yours, and the comment from 'anonymous' on the vision of the parent we choose to remember. Both eloquent and heartbreaking. This is the FIRST year since he died that I have not spent the day in a somewhat morose and totally futile rehashing of our relationship and dynamic (perhaps because with every day and in every way I see more of him in everything I do).
    Thank you for your words. I didn't know I needed them until I read them. I know the feeling of watching the calendar all too well, and you'll do just fine, I know it. Love you, Bill
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rakxgird7gQ&ab_channel=LoudonWainwrightIII-Topic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, I am the unintentional anonymous replied to Adam’s blog entry. I can’t seem to figure out how to dip it under my own name. Evan

      Delete