Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Enjoying The Final Third

Charles M. Blow is, among his many talents, an Opinion writer who writes a regular column for The New York Times.   The other day on his Instagram feed, he shared a snapshot - a glimpse if you will - of his column from Sunday's Times, which piece was entitled "My Second Phase of Adulthood".  


@charlesmblow


Few pieces I have read in recent memory spoke to me with the clarity and precision that Mr. Blow's April 18 piece did.  It so touched me that I did something I infrequently do, which is comment upon what he had written:

I found myself nodding along quite a lot while reading this column. I am the youngest of six siblings and I am in my mid-fifties. I was fourteen when my father died. I was fifty when my mother died, which happened within a twelve-month period in which three great, long-time friends each lost their mom and one of them also lost his father. When my mom died, he sent me a pitch-perfect text pointing out that we were now both orphans but as fifty-year-old men not likely candidates for adoption. I smiled until I laughed and laughed until I cried.

My children are grown and are, themselves, parents. My grandchildren are the greatest, most wholly undeserved gift I have ever received. They have given me a new lease on life. The arrival of my first grandchild almost four years ago did make me think a bit of my own mortality and, statistically, how much of their glorious lives shall likely take place after I am gone. It did not make me sad. It made me want to make sure that I spend as much time with them as I can so that they will have memories of me that long outlive me.

Thank you, Mr. Blow, for putting into words how it is I feel as I embark on the final third of my life. Good luck to you on yours.

            May the road rise to meet us both and may the wind be always at our backs.


Whatever stage of the game it is in which you find yourself, apply all your energy, all your love, and all your passion to your day-to-day.   Cut yourself some slack.  Get on with being a better person.  

-AK 


2 comments:

  1. Adam, sometimes it takes me a bit to catch up with you prolific posting, but ooh it's the worth wait. Love everything about this one. One of my favorite things about the internet is that it lets us find our kindred spirits, wherever they may be, and their words, when the time is right. Great stuff here.

    ReplyDelete