Friday, April 23, 2021

Separating the Good from the Bad

 This is not an anti-police prosecution.
This is a pro-police prosecution. 
There's nothing worse for a good police
Than a bad police.
Special Assistant Attorney General,
State of Minnesota

Derek Chauvin never was the face of law enforcment officers in this nation.  Not once.  Not even a little bit.  How do I know?  I know because one of the people I love most of all on this planet is a federal law enforcement officer.  My son and Derek Chauvin, as men and as law enforcement officers, have nothing in common.  Never have.  Never will.  

I know because in addition to my son, I have had the great good fortune of getting to know and to befriend law enforcement officers throughout the years, including men and women whose acquaintance I have made in the course of my work as a lawyer, including one of the finest men I know, Pete Gonzalez.  Pete, like Rob, works for the federal government.  Pete Gonzalez and Derek Chauvin, as men and as law enforcement officers, have nothing in common.  Never have.  Never will.  

The State of Minnesota proved its case against former police officer Chauvin beyond a reasonable doubt, due in no small part to the testimony of multiple law enforcment officers, including the Chief of the department for which Derek Chauvin worked.  Those men and women, as law enforcement officers, have nothing in common with Derek Chauvin.  Never have.  Never will. 

Steve Schleicher is right.  There is nothing worse for a good police officer than a bad police officer.  Those who continue to paint with such an unreasonably broad brush would be well served to remember Mr. Schleicher's words. 

-AK  

No comments:

Post a Comment