Sunday, April 18, 2021

The Man In Black

It was quite an interesting week in the law for Yours truly.  

Thursday morning I appeared in person before a judge in a New Jersey courthouse for the first time since early March, 2020.   My client failed to appear but at least I was there.  What a pleasure it was to speak to another lawyer and to appear before a judge face-to-face (or half-face to half-face I suppose).  

Friday night I was a Presiding Judge in Round 1 of the American Mock Trial Association's Collegiate National Championship Tournament, which was conducted via Zoom.  I learned after the trial over which I had presided was over that the two teams who I had the pleasure and privilege of watching compete were from the University of Chicago and Yale.  Really outstanding work put in by the students on both teams.  I was very impressed by how well-prepared they were not just in the handling of their direct examinations and cross-examinations (not to mention how seamlessly all of them handled the technology) but by how well and how forcefully they argued all objections.  

I know not how many of the college students I saw in action on Friday night actually are planning a career in the law.  I hope for the good of our profession at least some of them pursue it.   

I must admit that this fellow could get used to being a judge.  Not just because it was nice to be addressed for three hours as "Your Honor" as opposed to any of the less-flattering honorifics I have earned over the years.  According to the Administrative Office of the Courts, New Jersey has a current shortage of sixty-four judges, which shortage is expected to grow over the next couple of months.  It is interesting work.  The need to dive deeply yet quickly into the issues involved in a particular case or, even more exactly, in a specific bone of contention in a particular case, energizes and inspires me.  Plus, the job comes with a black robe.  Black is a slimming color.  I need all the help I can get in that department.  If only it came with a black hat too.  Then, perhaps, after five-plus decades my head would appear more appropriately-sized. 

Hat or no hat, put me in, Governor.  I am ready to play.  






We are adjourned.  Enjoy your Sunday. 

-AK 


No comments:

Post a Comment