Sunday, November 7, 2021

To Be As Able As Kane

I do not know what fate awaits me.
I only know I must be brave.
-Tex Ritter


Today shall be a very long day for Yours truly.  I have a ticket (figuratively speaking) on the 6:30 am Staten Island Ferry, the purpose of which boat ride is to deposit me at Fort Wadsworth.  Fort Wadsworth is where the participants in this year's New York City Marathon assemble - and wait - until summoned to the Staten Island side of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, which is where this 50th edition of the New York City Marathon begins.  



Pop Pop's Bib 


The great Bill Parcells has famously observed that "You are what your record says you are."  Mine as a runner confirms my status as a ham and egger.  Today shall be the fourth (and final) New York City Marathon for me.  In this one, as has been the case each of the first three times I have run it, I am starting in the day's final wave.  In 2015, 2016, and 2017, I started at 11 am.  However, this year, with start times staggered more than usual to afford more presumed protection from COVID, I start at high noon.   

Sunset today in Manhattan shall happen at or about 4:45 pm.  Hopefully, as you read this it serves as a memory jog to set your clocks and watches back one hour today if you forgot to do so last night before you went to sleep.  I reasonably anticipate the sun shall have set gently in the west before I reach the finish line in Central Park.  

Reach it, I shall.  





Batter up. 

-AK 




1 comment:

  1. You're nearly ready to launch. Go.
    And don't run like the winded.
    Love,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete