Saturday, March 12, 2022

At the Point Where the Desert Breaks

On last night's ride home from work, I listened to E Street Radio on Sirius XM.  Spoiler alert:  Me listening to Springsteen in the car is not - shall we say - a surprise.  

These days it is not a particularly long ride.  One of the many wonderful things about my newish gig is that I now spend about 1/3 of the time in the car as I used to going door-to-door between home and the office.  It does, of course, reduce the amount of music, Springsteen or otherwise, to which I am able to listen.  

Among the few songs to which I had time to listen was one of my favorites, "The Price You Pay".  Regardless of what you do, I reckon that its message is relatable:


You make up your mind, you choose the chance you take
You ride to where the highway ends and the desert breaks. 
Out to an open road, you ride until the day
You learn to sleep at night with the price you pay
"The Price You Pay" 
Bruce Springsteen


You do indeed.  Of course, for me sleep did not come until I made Delta-8 THC Gummies part of my nighttime routine.  All kidding aside, if you earn your living doing what I do, then that sensation of living your life on a hamster wheel is inextricably linked to your day-to-day.  You either learn to live with the knowledge that the path you lead is the one on which you voluntarily chose to walk or you make yourself crazy.  

Either way, you pay the price.  For in the words of the great American philosopher Jackson Browne, "Nobody rides for free." 




Nobody.

-AK 



No comments:

Post a Comment