Wednesday, October 28, 2020

For The Chief, Once More With Feeling

A lifetime ago, I attended the same high school as Bridget Mary McCormack, Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court, and Mary McCormack, award-winning actress and star of films including Private Parts and television shows including In Plain Sight, The Kids Are Alright, and The West Wing.  Two of the three of us have been honored as our high school Alma mater's Distinguished Alumni. The third one of us is me.  

Here in New Jersey, judges (including the Justices of our Supreme Court) are nominated by the Governor, and confirmed by the State Senate.  In Michigan, judges (including the Justices of its Supreme Court) are elected.  Eight years ago, Bridget Mary McCormack was elected to the Michigan Supreme Court.  In 2019, her colleagues on the Court selected her as Chief Justice.  Now, in 2020, she stands for re-election. 

Eight years ago, her sister Mary and several of Mary's friends and colleagues from The West Wing made what has always struck me as an exceptionally clever campaign ad for Bridget.  This year, they have done it again: 




Having known the Chief Justice for most of my life, I can say without hesitation that she is not only the type of jurist and lawyer who gives the legal profession a good name, she is the type of person who gives us humans a good name. If I lived in Michigan, I would vote for her on Tuesday.  

If you live in Michigan, then I hope you do. 

-AK 

No comments:

Post a Comment