Monday, October 26, 2020

#PrayForColorado

The State of Colorado is on fire.  Fires, historic in their scope, size, and ferocity, have raged across the state, in some instances for the past couple of months, and continue to rage.  This is a screen shot I took on Friday morning of the "Colorado Current Fires" map that the Colorado Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management shared on-line, which map identified a half-dozen active wildfires between Denver and Colorado's border with its northern neighbor, Wyoming. 


CDHSEM Wildfire Map - October 23, 2020


I have a pronounced interest in what is happening in Colorado.  Four of the people on the planet who I love the most - the Colorado branch of the family tree - live in Fort Collins.  Watching news reports detailing the ongoing impact of the Cameron Peak Fire and the East Troublesome Fire on their lives gives me considerable pause.  It also exposes the greatest fallacy of parenthood, which is that as parents we shall always keep our children safe from all harm.  Rob, Jess, and their gorgeous girls will get through this just fine in spite of the fact that I am powerless to help them.  

Additionally, Boulder is one of my favorite places.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my almost four-decade affiliation with the University of Colorado, which first began when I was a 17 year-old high school senior and Jill transferred there to begin her sophomore year of college.  On Friday, October 16 while I was relaxing at the beach, I came across this photograph on Instagram:


View from Folsom Field - October 16, 2020
Photo credit: ferbozaphoto (Instagram)


The view of the Flatirons from the home side of Folsom Field is one that I first took in as an 18-year-old freshman in September of '85.  Until I saw this photograph, it had never broken my heart.  I believe - although I could be mistaken and I invite anyone to correct me if I am - that this photograph captured the Calwood Fire, which rages outside of Boulder. 




-AK 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment