Thursday, February 11, 2021

Super Bowl Asunder

Sunday night, having turned off Super Bowl LV early in the fourth quarter after Patrick Mahomes' Herculean effort on 4th and 9 from Tampa Bay's 11-yard line fell short (he threw a laser into the end zone while parallel to the field, with no legs under him, from at or about the 30-yard line, the point to which the Buccaneers' pass rush had chased, which pass appeared to actually hit his intended receiver in one hand only to be dropped) with the Chiefs trailing 31-9, I went to sleep wondering whether I felt worse for him or for Queen Latifah.   

The only thing CBS promoted more relentlessly than the game itself in the two weeks leading up to Super Bowl Sunday was its revival of The Equalizer starring Queen Latifah, which premiered following the game.  I know not what sort of ratings it garnered. I know that I was not awake to watch it.

For whatever it is worth, I managed to make it through three quarters of the game without seeing the Jeep commercial that Bruce Springsteen shot at and around a chapel in Lebanon, Kansas, which is the  geographical center of our nation's forty-eight contiguous states.  I watched it on YouTube instead. 

Best part of Super Bowl Sunday in our house - other than me winning the Battle of the Driveway Apron against our town's Department of Public Works - was Margaret's spectacular (as always) eggplant parmigana. Patrick Mahomes should have spent the day at our house.  He would have had a much better time.  

-AK 

2 comments:

  1. I grew up thinking Eisenhower who was from Lawrence, Kansas, was raised in the middle of the USA and then the Jeepsters come along and say it's Liberty so this provoked I went to Google and they say it's Lebanon, Kansas.
    No wonder QAnon is catching on in this country, too many facts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_United_States

    ReplyDelete