Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The Gospel According to Parcells

I dreamed you
I saw your face
Caught my lifeline
When drifting through space
I saw an angel
I saw my faith
I can only thank God it was not too late.
"Angel Dream (No. 2)"
-Tom Petty

On the day the calendar designates to mark the anniversary of my birth, I think of the two people who brought me into this world, without whom this day would not be possible.  

We are what our record says we are, to borrow a phrase from Hall of Fame Coach Bill Parcells. A half-century-plus further on up the road from the place where my journey began, I am imperfect and flawed, just like everyone I know - with the exception of my five grandchildren, each of whom is perfect.  

I am my parents' son.  For better.  For worse.  For life.  I am forever to indebted to WPK, Sr., gone forty-one years this May 31st, and to Mom, who died forty-four months ago today.  

Sing a little song 
Loneliness
Sing one to make me smile
Another round for everyone
I'm here for a little while.
"Angel Dream (No. 2)"
-Tom Petty

-AK 

No comments:

Post a Comment