Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Birthdays and Presence



Today is my son's birthday.  

Rob is an extraordinary man.  Much better in fact in every respect than I am.  He shall spend his day today working from home (thank you again, COVID-19), and in the company of his beautiful wife, Jessica, and their spectacular little girl, Abigail.  The Colorado branch of the family tree is awaiting the arrival of its newest, fourth member this summer.  

Abigail shall be two years old at or about the time her new baby sister announces her arrival.  In less than two years of fatherhood my son has proven, time and again, how much better he is at being one than I ever have in close to three decades on the job.  I smile simply thinking about how beautifully he interacts with Abigail and how effortless is that interaction.  

I am more proud of him than I have likely ever properly communicated to him.  Of all the things about him of which I am proud, the single most thing is how he grew up to be the man he wanted to be.  It is not easy, of course, but because of how much love and dedication he brings to bear upon this critically-important task, his depth-less love for his bride and his family, and the way in which he goes about his day-to-day, he makes it appear to be so to the casual observer.

May his birthday, even in the presently bizarre world in which we live, be every bit as happy as it can be.  

He deserves nothing less. 

-AK 

No comments:

Post a Comment