Sunday, April 19, 2020

Life is Better With a Dog


While I was out running with Sam I Am the other morning, my mind drifted back to a conversation more than a decade ago that I had had with one of my law partners regarding my preference for dogs over people.  He actually thought I was kidding when I told him that I liked dogs much more than I do people.  All these years later, he knows I am not. 

As a person given to solitary pursuits (running, writing, and reading among them), this forced respite from daily interaction with most of the rest of the world has not affected me to the degree it has most people, I believe.  Appreciating the fact that Margaret and Joe are much more social animals than I am, I try to make sure that each of them is doing as well as they can during this extraordinary, unprecedented time.  So far, each appears to be holding up fairly well. 

My mental health is aided immensely by Sam.  We rescued her in late March, 2018, roughly three weeks after our beloved Rosalita died.  No one is more surprised than I am by the hold Sam has had on my heart since we brought her home.  

For the past two years, she has borne witness to me leaving the house five to six days a week in the morning and not returning until after she keeps Margaret and Joe company home while they eat dinner.  However, since mid-March I have been home all day, every day.  It appears as if she has detected a disturbance in the force of her day-to-day.  So far, however, she has made the best of it.  Every now and again, she wanders down the hall during my work day to see what I am up to. 






Every day (unless it is raining) Sam and I play her favorite game, Dingo, in our back yard.  It has been said that you cannot put a price on happiness.  That being said, if you have a dog then might I suggest that you might not spend a better $11.00 than buying one through Chewy.com.  




Clearly, I am not the only person whose life is made better through canine companionship.  One of my favorite Buffs, Jenny Simpson, and her husband recently adopted a Jack Russell puppy, Truman.  She chronicles Truman's escapades on Instagram.  If you find yourself feeling a bit down, then spend a moment or two with Truman.  I think you will be happy you did. 



-AK 


2 comments:

  1. Just back from a walk with my pup, Lucy. She absolutely aids my sanity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and for sharing your thoughts. I hear you loud and clear on the subject of your canine companion as an elixir for your sanity. Sam is the very same thing for me.

      Stay well. Stay safe.

      Delete