Saturday, April 4, 2020

Farewell to a Poet

"I grew up in the age of Barbra Streisand,
Aretha Franklin, Nancy Wilson...
Now everything is about image.
It's not poetry. This just isn't my time."
-Bill Withers

I was working yesterday morning (I know it was yesterday because I was wearing my Friday "work from home" attire, which is a gray long-sleeve t-shirt and shorts) when the news came over the wire that the great Bill Withers had died.  He was eighty-one. 

An extraordinary talent, Bill Withers was his own man.  If you have not read it, then please permit me to commend Andy Greene's profile from Rolling Stone to your attention.  Greene wrote his profile of Withers in conjunction with the latter's 2015 enshrinement into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  If you have the time, might I recommend that you watch the video of the speech Bill Withers gave at the 2015 induction ceremony.  

For as long as I can remember Ain't No Sunshine has been one of my favorite songs.  I could make an argument that it is as soulful and as beautiful a love song as has ever been written - the perfect marriage of music, lyrics, and voice...all wrapped up in a package that is only 2:08.  

Bill Withers was an extraordinary talent.  The music he made, which remains for us to listen to and to enjoy, is timeless...  



...farewell and godspeed. 

-AK 

No comments:

Post a Comment