Sunday, April 26, 2020

Happy Birthday to the Gift-Giver



The greatest gift-giver I have ever known celebrates a birthday today.  My brother Bill, the tip of the spear of the sextet of Kenny siblings, is today's birthday boy.  Presumably, social distancing rules shall prevent him from having the long hoped-for, not-yet-realized celebratory pony ride.  Next year, perhaps. 

I was not yet two years old when Bill taught me to read.  But he did far more.  He taught me not simply to read, but to comprehend, and to think critically.  He taught me how important it is to not just read for content but, also, to listen for content too.  He taught me that while it is happiness's pursuit that gets a star turn in Mr. Jefferson's Declaration it is knowledge's pursuit that makes all the difference.  

Knowledge is power.  It provides you with a weapon in the fight against ignorance and mendacity.  There is not - and shall never be - a day in your life when it is not critically important.  A lesson we have learned, painfully, thus far in 2020.  

May Bill's birthday be a happy one.  He certainly deserves nothing less.  Much love and much thanks, big brother, for everything.  

-AK 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the birthday kind thoughts and wishes.
    I'm standing on our front lawn wearing chaps just in case the pony shows up and the cops are saying if I don't put pants on soon they'll hit me with the stun gun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! As long as you stand facing towards the street, I think you'll be OK :)

    ReplyDelete